From: [email protected] (Matthew Francey)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Subject: Re: Atari: Hard Driving!
Date: 13 Apr 89 00:04:31 GMT

In article , [email protected] (Bryan Wu) writes:

> Real Physics!

  I dunno...  the collisions are VERY elastic, and in some regions of the
"universe" (while off road), you encounter some very strange zones where
angular momentum is definitely not conserved.

  But on-road... wow.  My only problem is with the stick shift/clutch.  I
find I have to put all my weight behind a single gear change.  Since I don't
drive a Real Car (wimps drive cars.. Real Men drive motorcycles :-), I ask
the net if this is (in general) the case in real life ("heavy" stick shifts).

  By the way.. has anyone else seen the new Sega "Out Run - Turbo"?  Like most
sequels, a major disappointment.  Compared to Hard Drivin' a huge joke. Sega
should be ashamed of itself.
--
Name: Matthew Francey			 Address: N43o34'13.5" W79o34'33.3" 86m
[email protected]		  uunet!utgpu!{ontmoh!moore,ncrcan}!ziebmef!mdf

From: [email protected] (Elias Israel)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Date: 17 Apr 89 14:15:34 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Matthew Francey) writes:
>In article , [email protected] (Bryan Wu) writes:
>
>> Real Physics!
>
>  I dunno...  the collisions are VERY elastic, and in some regions of the
>"universe" (while off road), you encounter some very strange zones where
>angular momentum is definitely not conserved.

The elastic collisions are kind of unreal, especially when viewed alongside
the stunning realism of the rest of the game. But I don't understand
what you mean by angular momentum failing to be conserved. What symptoms
of driving off-road are you referring to?

>  But on-road... wow.  My only problem is with the stick shift/clutch.  I
>find I have to put all my weight behind a single gear change.  Since I don't
>drive a Real Car (wimps drive cars.. Real Men drive motorcycles :-), I ask
>the net if this is (in general) the case in real life ("heavy" stick shifts).

No, cars in general have much lighter sticks and race cars in
particular have shorter "throws", that is a shorter distance from the
gear position to the neutral position. While this makes for quicker
shifts, your hand position and timing have to be more accurate. This, I
think, is the reason that the game is set up the way that it is. After
all, what's the use of an arcade game that can't be played by
gum-popping high schol teens who, for the most part, have never driven
before at all?

Also, I have seen that these games take a fair amount of abuse (the
shifter is a prime candidate for rough handling) and the shifter can
become even harder to use.

Really, the major strength of the game is the nearly complete realism of
the control inputs and the results that you see. I was amazed when I was
able to take what meager knowledge of performance driving such as I have
and apply it and see it WORK! No other driving game does this. I was
able to see places where I was failing, hypothesize about the reasons why
from a knowledge of cars and driving (not from a knowledge of the game's
workings), test my hypothesis in the game and prove it correct!

It's also major loads of fun to try all kinds of nasty things that only
fools would try in a real car, like taking the car to the top of the
loop and throwing it off, taking jumps at incredible speeds, and
generally driving to endanger.

Things to try:
(1) On the first turn of the stunt course, there is a barn with a cow
    standing next to it. Hit the cow.
(2) At the very start of the race, make a hard left turn as soon as you
    get the car started. You'll find another road there.
(3) The game does not keep you from driving the course in reverse. You
    can't get any extra time that way, but it can be used for general
    mayhem.
(4) Stragely enough, although the game allows you to drive almost
    anywhere, there is one place you can't drive. It causes a collision
    with an invisible object.
(5) Hitting different objects produce different sounds. Try hitting
    a sign post, another car, a building...

People who want more hints can send me mail. If enough people ask for
it, I'll post to the net.

Elias Israel		   | "Justice, n. A commodity which in more or
Interactive Systems Corp.  | less adulterated condition the State sells
Boston, MA		   | to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance,
..!ima!haddock!eli	   | taxes, and personal service."
			   |     -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

More Hard Drivin reviews from UseNet

(2 / 6)

From: [email protected] (Matthew Francey)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Date: 13 Apr 89 00:04:31 GMT

From: [email protected] (Elias Israel)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Date: 17 Apr 89 14:15:34 GMT

> [...]

(3) The game does not keep you from driving the course in reverse. You
    can't get any extra time that way, but it can be used for general
    mayhem.
(4) Stragely enough, although the game allows you to drive almost
    anywhere, there is one place you can't drive. It causes a collision
    with an invisible object.
(5) Hitting different objects produce different sounds. Try hitting
    a sign post, another car, a building...

People who want more hints can send me mail. If enough people ask for
it, I'll post to the net.

Elias Israel		   | "Justice, n. A commodity which in more or
Interactive Systems Corp.  | less adulterated condition the State sells
Boston, MA		   | to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance,
..!ima!haddock!eli	   | taxes, and personal service."
			   |     -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

More reviews

(3 / 6)

	Thought you folks would be interested... If you want to answer
any questions raised here, send me mail and I'll post it...

					Mike

From: [email protected] (Matthew Francey)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Date: 25 Apr 89 00:54:40 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Elias Israel) writes:

>The elastic collisions are kind of unreal, especially when viewed alongside
>the stunning realism of the rest of the game. But I don't understand
>what you mean by angular momentum failing to be conserved. What symptoms
>of driving off-road are you referring to?

	(below)

>Also, I have seen that these games take a fair amount of abuse (the
>shifter is a prime candidate for rough handling) and the shifter can
>become even harder to use.

  All the machines I know of are now "automatic only" because of this. :-(

>Really, the major strength of the game is the nearly complete realism of
>the control inputs and the results that you see. I was amazed when I was
>able to take what meager knowledge of performance driving such as I have
>and apply it and see it WORK! No other driving game does this. I was
>able to see places where I was failing, hypothesize about the reasons why
>from a knowledge of cars and driving (not from a knowledge of the game's
>workings), test my hypothesis in the game and prove it correct!

  Indeed.  I do much the same thing.  I find that the few minutes in that
machine are extremely enjoyable ones for this very reason.  (Though the
cursing and swearing might not be the best way to express this :-)

>(1) On the first turn of the stunt course, there is a barn with a cow
>    standing next to it. Hit the cow.

	Sick!  Absolutely sick!   (Ok, I will admit to hitting it a few
times myself, but for purely scientific reasons, I assure you...)

>(2) At the very start of the race, make a hard left turn as soon as you
>    get the car started. You'll find another road there.

  Has anyone figured out what this is for?  The one I know of leads to a
large circular black track with a "post" in the middle of it.  What is it
purpose in life?

>(4) Stragely enough, although the game allows you to drive almost
>    anywhere, there is one place you can't drive. It causes a collision
>    with an invisible object.

  This may be one aspect of the "conservation violation" above.  On the
speed track, just before the 1st check point, is a dip then a bridge.  If you
are unlucky enough to leave the road before the bridge and hit that sign/fence
on the left, your car goes into a wild state of rotation.  A similar effect
is observed when you fly off the banked section of the stunt track.

>People who want more hints can send me mail. If enough people ask for
>it, I'll post to the net.

  Please post.  There is far too much Nintendo-related stuff here, and not
enough Real Honest-To-God Video Games.
--
Name: Matthew Francey			 Address: N43o34'13.5" W79o34'33.3" 86m
[email protected]		  uunet!utgpu!{ontmoh!moore,ncrcan}!ziebmef!mdf

from UseNet

(4 / 6)

From: [email protected] (Matthew Francey)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Date: 25 Apr 89 00:54:40 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Elias Israel) writes:

>The elastic collisions are kind of unreal, especially when viewed alongside
>the stunning realism of the rest of the game. But I don't understand
>what you mean by angular momentum failing to be conserved. What symptoms
>of driving off-road are you referring to?

	(below)

>Also, I have seen that these games take a fair amount of abuse (the
>shifter is a prime candidate for rough handling) and the shifter can
>become even harder to use.

  All the machines I know of are now "automatic only" because of this. :-(

>Really, the major strength of the game is the nearly complete realism of
>the control inputs and the results that you see. I was amazed when I was
>able to take what meager knowledge of performance driving such as I have
>and apply it and see it WORK! No other driving game does this. I was
>able to see places where I was failing, hypothesize about the reasons why
>from a knowledge of cars and driving (not from a knowledge of the game's
>workings), test my hypothesis in the game and prove it correct!

  Indeed.  I do much the same thing.  I find that the few minutes in that
machine are extremely enjoyable ones for this very reason.  (Though the
cursing and swearing might not be the best way to express this :-)

>(1) On the first turn of the stunt course, there is a barn with a cow
>    standing next to it. Hit the cow.

	Sick!  Absolutely sick!   (Ok, I will admit to hitting it a few
times myself, but for purely scientific reasons, I assure you...)

>(2) At the very start of the race, make a hard left turn as soon as you
>    get the car started. You'll find another road there.

  Has anyone figured out what this is for?  The one I know of leads to a
large circular black track with a "post" in the middle of it.  What is it
purpose in life?

>(4) Stragely enough, although the game allows you to drive almost
>    anywhere, there is one place you can't drive. It causes a collision
>    with an invisible object.

  This may be one aspect of the "conservation violation" above.  On the
speed track, just before the 1st check point, is a dip then a bridge.  If you
are unlucky enough to leave the road before the bridge and hit that sign/fence
on the left, your car goes into a wild state of rotation.  A similar effect
is observed when you fly off the banked section of the stunt track.

>People who want more hints can send me mail. If enough people ask for
>it, I'll post to the net.

  Please post.  There is far too much Nintendo-related stuff here, and not
enough Real Honest-To-God Video Games.
--
Name: Matthew Francey			 Address: N43o34'13.5" W79o34'33.3" 86m
[email protected]		  uunet!utgpu!{ontmoh!moore,ncrcan}!ziebmef!mdf

Yet more UseNet commentary

(5 / 6)

	More of the same. Are you folks _sure_ you don't want to reply
to some of this speculation? (just asking...)
					Mike

From: [email protected] (Elias Israel)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Date: 30 Apr 89 17:42:43 GMT

In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Matthew Francey) writes:
>In article <[email protected]> [email protected] (Elias Israel) writes:
>
>>(1) On the first turn of the stunt course, there is a barn with a cow
>>    standing next to it. Hit the cow.
>
>	Sick!  Absolutely sick!   (Ok, I will admit to hitting it a few
>times myself, but for purely scientific reasons, I assure you...)

The funny thing is that you can't damage the cow! You'd expect little
(and big) bits of electronic beef to fly everywhere, but if you turn
around, the cow is still standing there!

>>(2) At the very start of the race, make a hard left turn as soon as you
>>    get the car started. You'll find another road there.
>
>  Has anyone figured out what this is for?  The one I know of leads to a
>large circular black track with a "post" in the middle of it.  What is it
>purpose in life?

This is a skid pad, I think. The purpose of a skid pad is to give you a
nice circular course that you can run at high speed. I think that you
use it like this: You run the course, increasing the speed of the car
until you can't keep it in the circle anymore. From the maximum speed
and the (known) radius of the circle, you can figure out the lateral
acceleration that the car's suspension can withstand.

Usually, you can find this figure for a given production car in the write-up
done by the more respectable auto magazines. The number is usually expressed
as a decimal fraction of the acceleration of gravity (G). For example,
a Chevy Corvette can withstand a lateral accelaration of about 0.95G
(95/100 of the accelaration due to gravity) without losing its footing.

>>(4) Stragely enough, although the game allows you to drive almost
>>    anywhere, there is one place you can't drive. It causes a collision
>>    with an invisible object.
>
>  This may be one aspect of the "conservation violation" above.  On the
>speed track, just before the 1st check point, is a dip then a bridge.  If you
>are unlucky enough to leave the road before the bridge and hit that sign/fence
>on the left, your car goes into a wild state of rotation.  A similar effect
>is observed when you fly off the banked section of the stunt track.

I don't think so. What I was referring to is that while you can usually
leave the track for a short time and return to it, you can't use that
trick when it comes to the loop on the stunt course. If you try to go
around the loop, you will have a collision, no matter how carefully you
navigate the obstacles or how slowly you drive.

I think what you may be experiencing is the different tractions on the
different surfaces (asphalt vs. grass). Grass can't give the tires
nearly as much bite as the asphalt, which means that the car will tend
to understeer much more on grass than on asphalt.

The event on the dip/bridge combination is also tricky, but I think that
I have figured it out. I think that it is important that when you leave the
ground and when you hit it again at that jump, you must keep your wheels
straight. Otherwise, one of the front wheels may hit the ground first or
(if the wheels aren't straight when you land) the turn of the wheel may
yank the car around. I have found that if you line up the jump and keep
the wheels straight, that particular jump is much easier to do.

In general, there are some driving habits that we have from our normal
cars that work (more or less) in those circumstances but fail in
performance driving.

For example, when taking turns at high speed, the car is naturally
pushed to the outside of the curve. The first impulse is to correct the
drift with the steering wheel, but at the speeds that you are
travelling, this may cause total loss of control of the car. Instead,
plot a gentle arc through the turn with the steering wheel and hold it.
When the car begins to drift to the outside of the curve, release the
accelerator just a bit until the drift is controllable. Don't bre afraid
of using the oncoming traffic lane if it looks clear (but beware of
blind turns and hills). Don't slow the car so much that it doesn't drift
at all, just enough so that all four wheels stay on the asphalt.
Whenever possible, take the car through the widest arc possible in the
turn (because the wider the arc, the smaller the lateral acceleration
and the greater the speed you can safely manage).

Anyone else have any tidbits worth sharing?

Elias Israel		   | "Justice, n. A commodity which in more or
Interactive Systems Corp.  | less adulterated condition the State sells
Boston, MA		   | to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance,
..!ima!haddock!eli	   | taxes, and personal service."
			   |     -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_

More comment on Hard Drivin

(6 / 6)

	The not ethat this is sort of a reply to was pretty much more
of the same, so I didn't save it. This one brings up the "mystery spot"
which I think I've seen mentioned before. Would any of you care to elaborate
(to me, not the net)?
					Mike

From: [email protected] (Larry Gilbert)
Newsgroups: rec.games.video
Subject: Re: New game comments -- Hard Drivin' from Atari
Date: 7 Jun 89 17:16:00 GMT

Ken Streeter writes:

> a satisfying driving experience (except for the $1.00 cost!)

Dude, you got ripped off.  Come to Oregon State University, visit the
Rec Center, and you can play all the Hard Drivin' you like for 50 cents
a pop.

So it's a little far to travel...  It's worth saving half your income,
right?  :-)

My only complaint with the game is that, occasionally, after landing on
the other side of a hill at just the wrong angle, the simulation enters
the Twilight Zone, and the scenery flies by wildly for about 10 seconds
before the car finally "crashes".  The instant replay shows the car
doing something pretty crazy, such as spinning on one corner of the
front bumper.    If they could fix that, it'd be *perfect!* :-)
.
--
Larry Gilbert, [email protected], 1:152/201, +1 503 753 3511 (bbs)
"Coming to you live and direct from Big Time Television."
Message 1 of 6

Apr 18, 1989